The Malta Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment completely replaced the old Malta Individual Investor Programme. It allows investors to obtain Maltese citizenship after one or three years of holding residency status.
Several countries offer citizenship to qualifying investors. To name a few, there are the U.K., Antigua and Barbuda, Austria, Dominica, Jordan, Montenegro, North Macedonia, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, and Turkey. The Maltese programme stands out for multiple reasons.
Let us take a closer look into the Malta Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment.
What does the programme grant?
The Maltese Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment is a path to Citizenship by Naturalisation. Provided by the Maltese Citizenship Act, naturalisation is granted to high-net-worth individuals and families who can contribute to the economic development of Malta.
The programme follows strict due diligence standards. Additionally, the regulations are limited to a maximum number of 400 successful applicants (families) per year, and the quota is 1,500 families for the entire programme.
Who is eligible to apply for the programme?
The Maltese Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment is available for:
- Investors 18 years or older
Spouse, life partner
Parents and grandparents of both spouses, subject to conditions.
Dependent children up to and including the age of 17
Adult children between 18 to 28 who are not married and are largely dependent on the main applicant.
Applicants must have no criminal record. They must have no denied visa in countries with visa-free agreement Malta. Moreover, certain nationalities are not eligible for the programme.
Malta, located at the crossroads of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, is a member of the European Union (EU) and the Schengen Area. The island nation’s fast-growing economy is rated A+ by Fitch and A2 by Moody’s, presenting endless opportunities for investors.
Moreover, its political and economic stability provides first-class health service and a top educational system to the people. Malta was also rated the 2nd safest country in the world in 2020. It is also repeatedly recognised among countries with the best climate in the world.
Malta uses English as a primary language. Its beautiful weather, rich history and culture, and favourable regime for businesses continuously attract high-net-worth individuals across the globe.
Benefits of Citizenship in Malta
Citizenship of Malta gives successful applicants endless opportunities. From business, family security, travel, to lifestyle, citizens can:
- Be part of the fast-growing economy.
- Live in one of the safest countries in the world.
- Access leading health care institutions.
- Provide world-class education for the children.
- Obtain citizenship status that is inherited by future generations even if born outside of Malta.
- Gain the freedom to travel to 184 countries, including the USA, Canada, and Australia
- Gain the right to live, work, and study in all 27 EU member states, as well as Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland.
With a Maltese passport, you can broaden your world. And the more countries you have access to, the more potentials you can unleash! Where all around the world can the Maltese Passport take you, you ask?
|Asia||Africa||Europe||North America||South America|
|Armenia||Botswana||Andorra||American Virgin Islands**||Argentina|
|Bangladesh*||Cape Verde||Belarus||Antigua and Barbuda||Bolivia|
|Brunei||Comoro Islands*||Belgium||Bahamas||Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba|
|Cambodia*||Egypt*||Bosnia and Herzegovina||Barbados||Brazil|
|Indonesia||Gambia||Cyprus||The British Virgin Islands||Curacao|
|Iraq||Kenya*||Denmark||Cayman Islands**||Falkland Islands|
|Israel||Lesotho||Estonia||Costa Rica||French Guiana|
|Kuwait*||Mauritius||Germany||French West Indies||Venezuela|
|Mongolia*||Sao Tome and Principe||Kosovo||Mexico|
|Palestinian territories||Somalia*||Luxembourg||Puerto Rico**|
|Philippines||South Africa||Malta||St. Kitts and Nevis|
|Saudi Arabia*||Togo*||Monaco||St. Vincent and the Grenadines|
|South Korea||Uganda||Netherlands||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Sri Lanka**||Zambia||Norway||Turks and Caicos Islands|
|Tajikistan*||Visa on arrival*||Portugal||Visa on arrival*|
|Visa on arrival*||Slovenia|
|Northern Mariana Islands**|
|Papua New Guinea*|
|Visa on arrival*|
The Schengen Agreement, signed in 1985, is the treaty that built a borderless Europe, now known as the “Schengen Area.” It is the region’s most important borderless zone, including 22 European Union member countries and four non-EU countries. Malta joined the Schengen Area in 2007, along with 25 other countries.
- Czech Republic
Under the programme, applicants are offered residence status in Malta, leading to citizenship by naturalisation. Applicants may opt for either of these two routes:
- Apply for citizenship after one year of holding residency status in Malta with a non-refundable investment of €750,000 to the National Development and Social Fund set up by the Government of Malta (plus €50,000 per family member included in the application).
- Apply for Maltese citizenship after three years with a lower non-refundable investment of €600,000 (plus €50,000 per family member included in the application).
Applicants must also make a charitable donation of €10,000 to any non-governmental organisation registered in Malta. Also, the applicant has to lease a residential property in Malta for a minimum annual rent of €16,000.
Alternatively, purchase a residential property in Malta having a minimum value of €700,000. Such qualifying property is to be held for a minimum period of five (5) years from the date of issuance of the certificate of naturalisation.
Also, administrative and due diligence fees will be applicable, depending on family composition. And regardless of the applicant’s choice, the lifetime benefits will still be the same.
How long does it take to succeed in citizenship application? The process steps are as follows:
- The main Applicant gives the Agent a power of attorney to act on his behalf for the entire application process.
- The Agent performs Tier 1 due diligence on you and submits the Residency application.
- The Government Agency performs Tier 1 due diligence and obtains first police clearance.
- Visit to Malta by the main applicant and all adult dependents to submit biometric data.
- The Agent submits the Citizenship eligibility application to the Government Agency.
- The birth and marriage certificates are submitted to Public Registry and Passport Office by the Agent.
- The Government Agency performs a Tier 2 due diligence and ensures the correctness and completeness of the application.
- The Government Agency further conducts a Tier 3 & Tier 4 due diligence and presents the application and its findings to the Minister.
- On the Minister’s instructions, the Government Agency informs the Agent of the Minister’s decision if the Applicant is are eligible to apply for Maltese citizenship.
- Depending on the Applicant's level of chosen investment, the Agent presents the Citizenship application to the Government Agency. The period can be 12 or 36 months from the time you received your Residency Card.
- The Government Agency further updates its due diligence you the Applicant and presents final findings to the Minister.
- On the Minister’s instructions, the Government Agency informs the Agent about the Minister’s decision if the Applicant can be granted Maltese citizenship.
- You fulfil the Exceptional Investment, Donation and Property requirements.
Oath of Allegiance
- You and your adult dependents are invited to come to Malta to take the Oath of Allegiance.
- You are granted Maltese citizenship and are issued with a Certificate of Naturalisation and a Maltese Passport.
Investing in Malta is investing in your family’s bright future. Citizenship in the island nation brings lifetime benefits that you could maximise and pass on to the next future generations. While the whole process for Malta Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment is extensive and inflexiblestrict, you do not have to complete it all by yourself.
Endevio is a team of experts who are ready to guide you every step of the way.
Take the first step now and get in touch with us!