What is the Malta Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment?
The Maltese Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment is a path to Citizenship by Naturalisation. The programme follows strict due diligence standards. Additionally, the regulations are limited to a maximum number of 400 successful applicants (families) per year, and the quota is 1,500 families for the entire programme.
Malta may be one of Europe’s smallest countries, but its economic and political stability presents opportunities to foreign nationals. Located between Sicily and the North African coast, the island nation is part of the world’s largest economic zone.
Malta is a member of the European Union and the Schengen Area. The island nation’s fast-growing economy is rated A+ by Fitch and A2 by Moody’s, presenting endless opportunities for investors. Malta was also ranked the 2nd safest country in the world in 2020.
It is also repeatedly recognised among countries with the best climate in the world. Malta uses English as a primary language. The country’s beautiful weather, rich history and culture, and favourable regime for businesses continuously attract high-net-worth individuals across the globe.
What are the benefits of becoming a Maltese citizen?
Becoming a citizen of Malta has both immediate and long-term benefits.
Becoming a Maltese citizen allows you to base your business in the EU’s fastest-growing economy. Malta also provides an opportunity for unlimited access to the EU, the world’s largest economic zone. The country has a stable and booming real estate market, enabling you to make the most from endless investment options.
Businesses also thrive through the country’s tax-efficient system with total freedom of capital and income movements. Moreover, investors can maximise the following industries:
Family and Legacy Protection
Through Malta Citizenship by Investment, investors can live in one of the world’s safest countries regarding disaster risk and wealth. Maltese citizens have access to top-class healthcare, and children learn in the country’s top-rated educational system.
You can also protect your family legacy by passing on citizenship to future generations. Even if your descendants are born outside of Malta, they can still attain citizenship by descent.
Live, Work, Study Opportunities
You can opt to live, work, or study in all the 27 EU states. Becoming a Maltese citizen can also gain settling rights in EU countries.
A Maltese passport is one of the world’s most powerful passports. With a Maltese passport, you can broaden your world. A Maltese citizen can travel without border checks across 27 Schengen visa countries. That means you will not undergo passport and customs checks.
A Maltese citizen can also easily travel to over 180 countries.
Eligibility Requirements for Malta Citizenship by Investment
The Maltese Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment is available for:
- Investors, 18 years or older
- Spouse, life partner
- Parents and grandparents of both spouses, subject to conditions
- Dependent children up to and including the age of 17
- Adult children aged 18 to 28 who are not married and primarily reliant on the main applicant.
Applicants must have no criminal record. They must have no denied visas in countries with visa-free agreements in Malta. Moreover, certain nationalities are not eligible for the programme.
Financial Requirements for Malta Citizenship by Investment
Under the programme, applicants are offered residence status in Malta, leading to citizenship by naturalisation. Applicants must comply with the following financial requirements.
Malta citizenship by investment cost
The applicant has two options:
|Charitable Donation||Applicants must also make a charitable donation of €10,000 to any non-governmental organisation registered in Malta.|
|Real Estate Purchase or Property Rental||
Applicants must purchase a real estate property with a minimum value of €700,000.
Alternatively, the applicant can lease a property for a minimum annual rent of €16,000.
The purchased or rented property must be retained for a minimum period of five (5) years from the date of issuance of the certificate of naturalisation.
Depending on family composition, administrative and due diligence fees will also be applicable. Regardless of the applicant’s choice, the lifetime benefits will remain the same.
How long does it take to succeed in citizenship application? The process steps are as follows:
Step 1: Agent Engagement
- The main applicant gives the Agent the power of attorney to act on his behalf for the entire application process.
Step 2: Tier 1 Due Diligence
- The Agent performs Tier 1 due diligence on you and submits the Residency application.
- The Government Agency performs Tier 1 due diligence and obtains a police clearance.
Step 3: Biometrics
- The main applicant and all adult dependents will visit Malta to submit biometric data.
Step 4: Submission of Documents
- The Agent submits the Citizenship eligibility application to the Government Agency.
- The Agent sends birth and marriage certificates to the Public Registry and Passport Office.
Step 5: Tiers 2, 3 and 4 Due Diligence
- The Government Agency performs a Tier 2 due diligence and ensures the correctness and completeness of the application.
- The Government Agency further conducts Tier 3 and Tier 4 due diligence and presents the application and its findings to the Minister.
- On the Minister’s instructions, the Government Agency informs the Agent of the Miniters’ decision if the Applicant is eligible to apply for Maltese citizenship.
Step 6: Citizenship Application
- Depending on the Applicant’s level of chosen investment, the Agent presents the Citizenship application to the Government Agency. The period can be 12 or 36 months from the time you received your Residency Card.
- The Government Agency further updates its due diligence of the Applicant and presents final findings to the Minister.
- On the Minister’s instructions, the Government Agency informs the Agent about the Minister’s decision if the Applicant can be granted Maltese citizenship.
Step 7: Financial Obligations
- You fulfil the Exceptional Investment, Donation and Property requirements.
Step 8: Oath of Allegiance and Certificate of Naturalisation
- You and your adult dependents are invited to come to Malta to take the Oath of Allegiance.
- You are granted Maltese citizenship and issued a Certificate of Naturalisation and a Maltese Passport.
Taking the First Step Towards Maltese Citizenship by Investment
Investing in Malta is investing in your family’s bright future. Citizenship in the island nation brings lifetime benefits that you could maximise and pass on to the next future generations. While the process for Malta Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment might seem extensive, you do not have to complete it all alone.
Endevio has a team of experts who are ready to guide you every step of the way. Take the first step now and discover the wonders that await you in Malta.
Get in touch with our team today!