But with the growing economic and political instability globally along with travel restrictions, and various other reasons, more and more people from all corners of the world are evaluating their relocation/dual citizenship options.
Whether single individuals or young married couples & families or retirees or middle-class professionals or investors or executives, all are willing to make the necessary financial contributions and investments to secure their and their families future.
This article has been written with the intent to make you understand the application process of becoming a citizen of Malta.
Why Acquire Maltese Citizenship?
The biggest question for anyone considering second citizenship is not whether or not a second passport is required but to which country the citizenship is acquired from.
So, with the ever-increasing number of countries offering second citizenship programs; Why consider Maltese nationality?
Different people might have different reasons as to why they want to take up an alternative or second citizenship.
Living in Malta can be very idyllic in many ways. The archipelago located in the heart of the Mediterranean Sea is picturesque, and you’ll never be far from the beach.
Malta enjoys culture, history and more than 300 days of sunshine. The weather seldom dips below 9°C or above 32°C, making it exceptional for those seeking to escape scorching summers or severe winters.
Additionally, as an EU Member State, Malta is recognised internationally as one of the safest and secure places in the world, with high economic and political stability.
The Maltese islands have an overall 0.57% chance of falling victim to a natural disaster and also has the lowest crime rates to be found anywhere.
If we solely talk about Maltese citizenship by Investment, it offers both short-term & long-term benefits.
- Freedom to travel to 184 countries including the USA, Canada and Australia;
- Citizenship in a well-respected, economically and politically stable EU country;
- Citizenship status that is inherited by future generations; and
- Right to own a second home in Malta.
The Malta citizenship by investment program is the only one that offers visa-free access to all six English-speaking countries, including the United States of America.
Steps to Become a Citizen of Malta
Malta forms part of the borderless Schengen area as well as the European Union. So becoming a Maltese citizen, not only gives access to one country but the entire European continent.
Under the new route, applicants are offered residence in Malta, leading to citizenship by naturalisation which can be achieved in either of two ways.
The time to acquire Citizenship in Malta is usually around One year. An individual can either choose to apply for citizenship after one year (12 months) of being a resident of Malta with the contribution of €750,000 payable to the government of Malta; OR
Pursue the path of Maltese citizenship after three years (36 months), of course with a difference of €150,000 in the contribution fees at €600,000.
The granting of Citizenship for Exceptional Services Regulations will be limited to a maximum number of 400 successful applicants per year and is capped at 1,500 for the entire regulations.
Related: Discover Malta
From start to the issuance of the Malta Passport
Step #1: Power of Attorney to the Agent
- The Applicant grants a power of attorney to the Agent to act on his or her behalf. This power of attorney will remain in force for the whole duration of the application process.
Step #2: Establish Residency in Malta
- The Agent performs Tier 1 due diligence on the prospective Applicant and submits Residency application.
- The Community Malta Agency performs a Tier 1 due diligence and obtains initial police clearance.
Step #3: Establishing Citizenship Eligibility
- The Agent submits the Citizenship eligibility application to the Community Malta Agency.
- The Birth and marriage certificates are submitted to Public Registry and Passport Office by the Agent.
Step #4: The Due Diligence Process
- The Community Malta Agency performs a Tier 2 due diligence and ensures correctness and completeness of the application. The Agency may request further information and documents to ensure all the necessary documentation is in order.
- The Agency further performs a Tier 3 and Tier 4 due to diligence and presents the application and its findings to the Minister.
Step #5: Establishing Eligibility Decision
- On the Minister's instructions, the Community Malta Agency informs the Agent of the Minister's decision if the Applicant is eligible to apply for Maltese Citizenship.
Step #6: Malta Citizenship Application
- Depending on the level of chosen contribution by the Applicant, the Agent presents the Citizenship application to the Agency. The period can either be 12 months or 36 months from the time the Applicant received his or her Residence.
Step #7: Updating of the Due Diligence
- The Community Malta Agency further updates its due diligence on the Applicant and presents its final findings to the Minister.
Step #8: Maltese Citizenship Decision
- On the Minister's instructions, the Community Malta Agency informs the Agent of the Minister's decision if the Applicant can be granted Maltese Citizenship.
Step #9: Applicant Fulfils Investment Requirements
- The Applicant fulfills the Exceptional Investment, Donation and Property requirements.
Step #10: Oath of Allegiance
- The Applicant is invited to come to Malta and takes the Oath of Allegiance.
- The Applicant is granted Maltese Citizenship and is issued with a Certificate of Naturalisation and a Maltese Passport.
Step #11: Monitoring
- The Agent submits an annual compliance form to the Community Malta Agency that conducts continuous monitoring for five years after the attainment of Citizenship.
You might also be interested in knowing more about other Reasons to Choose Malta as your Second Home.
How much does Malta Citizenship Cost?
Malta Citizenship by Investment has a definitive fee structure.
Costs | Residency Stage
|Part-payment of the non-refundable deposit||Rental of property. (Approx)||Residence permit||Residency Card|
|Medical Insurance||Part-payment of Legal Fees|
Costs | Eligibility Stage
Eligibility Payment Request Voucher (EPRV)
|Due Diligence Fee||Administrative Fee||Balance of Legal Fees|
|Benefactor (if applicable)||€15,000||-||-|
Costs | Citizenship Stage
Investment Request Voucher (IRV)
|Exceptional Direct Investment||Administrative Fee|
|Applicant||€590,000 (36 Months Residency)||€5,000|
|€740,000 (Less than 36 Months Residency)|
Investment Obligations (Immovable Property)
|Applicant||* Purchase an immovable residential property in Malta||€700,000|
|* Take on a lease of residential immovable property in Malta||€16,000|
(*) - To be retained for a minimum period of 5 years from the date of issue of the certificate of citizenship
Donation to a registered philanthropic, cultural, sport, scientific, animal welfare or artistic non-governmental organisation or society, or as otherwise approved by the Agency.
Benefits of Becoming a Citizen of Malta
- Establish your business in the European Union’s fastest-growing economy;
- Freedom to unrestricted access to the European Union (EU), the world’s largest economic zone;
- Complete freedom of capital and income movements;
- Unwind in one of the safest countries in the world;
- Access to leading health care institutions;
- Protect your family legacy by passing on citizenship to future generations. Even if they are born outside of Malta they can attain citizenship by descent; and
- Secure your children’s future through a world-class education system;
- Citizenship in a well-respected, economically and politically stable EU country;
- Citizenship status that is inherited by future generations;
- Freedom to travel to 184 countries including the USA, Canada and Australia; and
- Right to own a second home in Malta. Make the most from endless investment options in a stable and booming real estate market.
Why Endevio as your Relocation Services Advisor?
In an ever-changing world, the decision to structure and manage wealth through a Family office can be complex.
Whether you are or working for, a private individual or a family office, we provide unified advice on a full range of services including taxation, investment structuring, corporate and regulatory.
Our scope is to help high-net-worth clients design and put in place a unified, holistic and workable structure to hold their assets and manage them in conjunction with other professional advisors. Whether your goal is to improve tax efficiency, dedicate efforts to philanthropy, increase asset protection or achieve the orderly transfer of wealth for the next generation, we will guide you through the process of realising these goals.
Through Endevio and Integritas strategic partners' international presence, we have a vast experience in developing and providing holistic services that are suited for each client.
Endevio & Integritas are notable Malta-based firms that deliver excellence in the international market. The firms are known for their quality in dealing with the full range of corporate services and advising high-net-worth clients on their private affairs.