Malta Golden Visa & Malta Golden Passport
Malta, a small European island nation is famous for its strategic location, in the heart of the Mediterranean sea.
Malta’s rich cultural heritage, its scenic beauty and more than 300 days of sunshine attract people from all parts of the globe to make it their permanent home.
In the process of considering a second residency or a second passport, you must have come across terms like ‘Golden Visa’ or a ‘Golden Passport’. You must have wondered what these terms actually mean?
Golden Visa and Golden Passport are terms that are usually associated with various countries’ residence and/or citizenship programs. The official terms for Malta’s programs are ‘Malta Citizenship by Investment’ for the citizenship program and ‘The Malta Residence and Visa Program’ for the residence program.
We thought of making it simpler for you by referring to them as the Malta Golden Visa or Malta Golden Passport and explain what that means and how it can lead you on the path of EU residency/citizenship.
What is Malta Golden Visa & Malta Golden Passport?
- The term Malta Golden Passport refers to citizenship by investment program by which Non-EU country citizens can take up Maltese citizenship and relocate themselves and their business affairs to a European country.
- Whereas, Malta Golden Visa refers to the residence by investment program (Malta Residence and Visa Program) by which Non-EU citizens can take up permanent residence in Malta along with unrestricted access to the 26 Schengen countries.
Note: It is essential for us to mention that both the terminologies Malta Golden Visa & Malta Golden Passport are marketing references and not actual official terms used for MIIP & MRVP.
Our team of experts can assist you at every step in obtaining your Malta residency or citizenship. Contact us today at email@example.com to know more.
Advantages of Malta Golden Visa & Malta Golden Passport
The Malta Golden Visa would grant:
- A Malta residence permit to you and your dependents;
- Lifetime visa-free travel within the Schengen Area;
- The right to reside, settle and stay indefinitely in Malta;
- The ability to apply for Long Term Residence status and naturalisation as Maltese citizen after a period of residence in accordance with the citizenship laws of Malta;
- The possibility for you and your spouse to add children born or adopted after the approval date subject to an additional contribution and successful due diligence checks;
- The possibility for children to add their spouse and any direct dependent subject to an additional contribution and successful due diligence checks;
- The possibility to apply for a work permit under a separate process; and
- The possibility of tax benefits under the Global Residence Program.
Whereas, a Malta Golden Passport would grant:
- Citizenship in a well-respected, economically and politically stable EU country;
- Citizenship status that is inherited by future generation;
- Freedom to travel to 183 countries including the USA, Canada and Australia;
- Right to the establishment in all 27 EU states and 4 EEA member states; and
- Right to own a second home in Malta.
Eligibility may also be extended to your dependents including spouse or partners in a relationship, children and grandparents under specific terms.
Our dedicated team of experts can help you at every step of the way for obtaining your Maltese citizenship. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to know more.
Malta Golden Visa Requirements (MRVP Requirements)
You (main applicant) must meet all the application requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Have a certificate of good health from a reputable health system;
- Have an annual income of not less than €100,000 arising outside of Malta or have a global net worth in excess of €500,000; and
- Have a stable and regular source of income.
Malta Golden Passport Requirements
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Commitment to make a sizeable contribution to the National Development Social Fund;
- Provide proof of established genuine links with Malta including residency over at least 12 months preceding the day of the issuance of the certificate of naturalisation;
- Commitment to invest in qualifying securities; and
- Commitment to hold a qualifying property.
Have a query? Please free to reach out to us at email@example.com.
Eligibility for the Malta Residence and Visa Program (MRVP) - Malta Golden Visa
MRVP is open to third-country nationals, i.e. Non Maltese, EU, EEA or Swiss Nationals.
The Government of Malta aims to attract only people of the highest standards through this program. Therefore, you will be subject to due diligence scrutiny and are expected to have:
- A clean criminal record;
- Not be deemed a potential national security risk, have a reputational risk or is subject to criminal proceedings; and
- Be in possession of valid travel documents.
Eligibility for the Malta Citizenship by Investment - Malta Golden Passport
The Maltese government intends to attract only people of the highest standards through this program. Hence, you will be subject to strict due diligence scrutiny and are expected to:
- Have a clean criminal record;
- Not have been denied a visa to a country with which Malta has visa-free travel arrangements; and
- Not be deemed a potential national security risk, have a reputational risk or is subject to criminal proceedings.
Our professional team of experts can support you at every step in acquiring your Malta residency or citizenship. Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to evaluate your options.
Malta Golden Visa Cost (Malta Residence and Visa Program Cost)
You are NOT required to pay the entire amount in one go.
The outlay structure is divided into different sections, namely:
- Contribution to the Government of Malta;
- Property Purchase or Rental Requirements; and
- Investment Upon Approval.
|Malta Residence and Visa Program Cost|
|Contribution to the Government of Malta||
Malta Golden Passport (Malta Passport by Investment) Cost
Malta Citizenship by investment has a specific fee structure.
You are NOT required to pay the entire amount in one go. You will be required to pay the amounts at different stages of the application.
Costs | Residency Stage
|Part-payment of the non-refundable deposit||Rental of property. (Approx)||Residence permit||Residency Card|
|Medical Insurance||Part-payment of Legal Fees|
Costs | Eligibility Stage
Eligibility Payment Request Voucher (EPRV)
|Due Diligence Fee||Administrative Fee||Balance of Legal Fees|
|Benefactor (if applicable)||€15,000||-||-|
Costs | Citizenship Stage
Investment Request Voucher (IRV)
|Exceptional Direct Investment||Administrative Fee|
|Applicant||€590,000 (36 Months Residency)||€5,000|
|€740,000 (Less than 36 Months Residency)|
Investment Obligations(Immovable Property)
|Applicant||* Purchase an immovable residential property in Malta||€700,000|
|* Take on a lease of residential immovable property in Malta||€16,000|
(*) - To be retained for a minimum period of 5 years from the date of issue of the certificate of citizenship
Donation to a registered philanthropic, cultural, sport, scientific, animal welfare or artistic non-governmental organisation or society, or as otherwise approved by the Agency.
Why Choose Malta?
- A member of the European Union (EU);
- Fastest growing economy in the EU rated A+ by Fitch;
- Member of the Schengen area and Commonwealth;
- Politically and economically stable;
- Excellent business opportunities;
- English as a primary language;
- Euro as base currency;
- Voted 2nd safest country in the world (World Risk Report 2018);
- First-class health service;
- Top educational system; and
- Repeatedly voted as best climate in the world.
Why Endevio as your Relocation Services Advisor?
In an ever-changing world, the decision to structure and manage wealth through a Family office can be complex.
Whether you are or working for, a private individual or a family office, we provide unified advice on a full range of services including taxation, investment structuring, corporate and regulatory.
Our scope is to help high-net-worth clients design and put in place a unified, holistic and workable structure to hold their assets and manage them in conjunction with other professional advisors. Whether your goal is to improve tax efficiency, dedicate efforts to philanthropy, increase asset protection or achieve the orderly transfer of wealth for the next generation, we will guide you through the process of realising these goals.
Through Endevio and Integritas strategic partners' international presence, we have a vast experience in developing and providing holistic services that are suited for each client.
Endevio & Integritas are notable Malta-based firms that deliver excellence in the international market. The firms are known for their quality in dealing with the full range of corporate services and advising high-net-worth clients on their private affairs.