Digital nomads can now enter Malta and travel around Europe through the Nomad Residence Permit (NRP). Introduced by the Residency Malta Agency in June 2021, the NRP allows individuals working remotely using telecommunications technologies to enter and stay in Malta for a year.
Applicants who are staying for less than a year will be given a National Visa valid 91 days–180 days, depending on the intention of their duration of stay.
Benefits of NRP for digital nomads
Ever since Malta became an iGaming hub, more and more expats have started to explore the island nation. The cosmopolitan country has the multi-cultural life that young digital expats are looking for! Malta’s corporate culture has also evolved into a fun and convenient space for employees over the years. Imagine working as you lounge in Malta’s most beautiful beaches!
With the NRP, digital nomads can:
- Experience the island life without lagging behind on work.
- Travel easily to Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East.
- Access best-in-class healthcare.
- Discover rich history, heritage, tradition, culture, and arts.
- Receive support and consultations for businesses.
Malta is also the first EU country with a nationwide 5G mobile internet service. Connectivity is never a problem for freelancers and remote workers! Moreover, English is one of the country’s official languages.
What are the eligibility criteria?
To qualify for the Nomad Residence Permit, the applicant must be a third-country national who fits in any of these conditions:
- Work for an employer registered in a foreign country.
- Conduct business activity for a company registered in a foreign country and of which they are a partner or shareholder.
- Offer freelance or consulting services mainly to clients whose permanent establishments are in a foreign country.
Apart from that, the applicants must also:
- Have a monthly income of €2700 gross of tax, a valid travel document, and comprehensive medical insurance while staying in Malta.
- Have proof that they hold a valid accommodation.
- Go through a background verification check.
Applicants may also include their family members in their application:
- Applicant’s spouse
- Minor children
- Adult children unable to cope independently due to a medical condition or disability
- Adult children economically dependent on the main applicant
Note that the applicant must consider a further 20% of the median wage for each family member, as established by the National Statistics Office, on top of their monthly income.
The Nomad Residence Permit application consists of the following:
- Application Form N1
- Application Form N2 (if applicable)
- Application Form N4
- Letter of Intent
- International Passport
- Employment contract and official tax documentation in case of employment
- Documentary evidence of all business owned in part or whole in case of self-employment
- Documentary evidence of all freelance activities in case of freelance
- Europass CV
- Bank Statement
- Local or international health insurance policy (once application is approved by the Agency)
- Health declaration
- Marriage Certificate
- Birth Certificate of family members (if applicable)
- Change of Name Documents (if applicable)
- Affidavit of Dependency (if applicable)
- Award of custody or guardianship (if applicable)
- Proof of Accommodation (once application is approved by the Agency)
How long does the process take?
The processing of applications is expected to take up to 30 days after all required documentation is submitted to the Agency.
Completion of documents > Submission of application > Application review > Receiving of Nomad Residence Permit or National Visa
How expensive is the Nomad Residence Permit?
The government application fees for the Nomad Residence Permit costs only €300 for the main applicant and €300 for every additional applicant. Legal fees vary according to the complexity of the application.
List of countries allowed to apply
Here is a list of countries where applicants have to hail from, to require an entry Visa:
|AFGHANISTAN||BURKINA FASO||DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO|
|BAHRAIN||CAPE VERDE||EQUATORIAL GUINEA|
|BANGLADESH||CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC||ERITREA|
|PAPUA NEW GUINEA||PHILIPPINES||QATAR|
|RUSSIA||RWANDA||SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE|
|SAUDI ARABIA||SENEGAL||SIERRA LEONE|
|SOMALIA||SOUTH AFRICA||SOUTH SUDAN|
Third-country nationals who must have an airport transit visa when passing through an EU airport international transit area need to hail from:
|AFGHANISTAN||BANGLADESH||DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO|
How can Endevio help?
Endevio is a Malta-based firm delivering excellence in the international market. We work with high-net-worth individuals and foreign nationals with their Malta endeavours. If you are a digital nomad who wants to live the island life in Malta, our team of experts can help you!
Working closely with the Residency Malta Agency, Endevio can assist you in moving your Nomad Residence Permit application forward. Are you ready to work while having the time of your life in Malta?
Get in touch with us now!